Saturday, February 1, 2014

A day in the life of Ethan Arden Adams.


January 31, 2014
Ethan wakes to a warm breakfast and is greeted by his Dad, Mom and Brother Chas. Ethan has been fighting a head cold for 48 hours, so he is dragging a bit physically. In spite of his cold and the next three days looming of chemo he is all smiles laughing and joking around.  He gets ready to hit the road for the hospital, but before he does this he packs up his bags with some comforts from home. He mentions how he is getting tired of collecting his urine. (We start a 24hr. collection every time we come in for chemo) We say goodbye to Bob, Sofia and Lucy. We hit the road, drop Chas off at school and Ethan and I are off on the causeway.
We enter the city and I make a quick stop for a' donut to start this day out right! :) He enjoys his donut knowing once the chemo starts he will not be eating because of the nausea he experiences during the chemo.
We make it to clinic at 9:30 and Ethan’s port gets excessed then they draw labs, so they can get back the results before admitting. We then visit Dr. Leon for another eye exam this was a good visit. Ethan was excited to have Dad show up and keep him motivated during testing. As we wait, in the waiting room for another eye test Drew is trying to read, Ethan will not have this, they begin their love language in action by wrestling and punching each other and cracking jokes. I usually get dragged in by Ethan and at one point I have Drew on my left and Ethan on my right both picking on me. What joy this boy has we cannot help but laugh and smile with him and join in all the playing, wet willies and all.:)
As we finish with the eye exam 2 ½ hours later the doctor says swelling is down and sees improvement! We will see him again in two months. We wait for continued healing for full recovery of his eyes. During Ethan’s visits with each doctor he is asked many questions and in particular with the eye doctor it is a struggle to try and explain his sight over and over again.
After our fun filled visit with Dr. Leon we then head to MRI. Ethan is hungry and Drew runs out to get him a bite to eat. We wait for two more hours for MRI, but at least this gives Ethan some time to eat and enjoy time with his Dad. Drew then says his goodbyes and heads home to work and be with Chas.
 MRI’s are not Ethan’s favorite by any means being still and the noise is rough, but he sucks it up and endures yet another test.  The nurse comes to get him and he heads in to get his MRI and in one hour he rounds the corner and smiles. I ask how the MRI was Ethan says “Best MRI yet the nurse that took me back was fun and the MRI was not as bad because they gave me wax earplugs. I only sneezed one time and it was during a time that it was ok to move, and then those last 8 minutes or so the back of my head was hurting I even had an indention on my head when I was done. But, otherwise the best one yet.”
We grab our bags and head back to the clinic to see Dr. Velez and we wait. It is 3 in the afternoon by now and Ethan falls asleep on the table in clinic for an hour. Doctor comes in to ask more questions go over medications and then we are sent off for yet another test, a hearing test. It is 4:30 Ethan has a successful hearing test. He comes out and tells me the hearing room is so quit he fell asleep and the girl that was giving him the test came over the speakers in his ears and said we are all done, Ethan says, “it startled me cause I fell asleep,” of course we laugh yet again.
We then walk back to Hemat/oncology clinic it is around 5pm now, Ethan is examined by the doctor and asked many questions yet again. After the doctor leaves he turns to me and says I am tired of talking about my eyes. My heart breaks yet again, as it has many times for this boy in all he has to suffer and endure. I told him that it is ok to be tired of this and yes I am sure I wouldn’t want to talk all day about my eyes. It is hard, but YOU are doing great, keep it up we will be in our room soon!! We will have supper soon.
We start hydrating in the clinic this is to get his body ready for the chemo. Ethan lovingly calls his IV pole “Chas”, so when the nurse comes in with the IV pole he greets him Hi Chas!!(Pure JOY!!!)
Ethan has Chas hooked up to him and Dr. Velez gives him his last check up and sends us up to his room.
We gather our bags and as Ethan pushes Chas we head up to Four West Room 444. We are thankful to have a room by this time and Ethan is glad to see a bed. He is admitted at 6 in the evening what a long day for him. We are laughing together because after a long day of tests and little rooms we are thankful to be in the hospital room the very room we were dreading to come to this am. 
Ethan is settled in, so I step out to get him a bit to eat,” what do you want for your last meal buddy?” Ham and cheese sandwich and mac-n-cheese. I return with his supper and watching him enjoy his food and the rejuvenation that came with it. We enjoyed each other company and realized we were laughing yet again over silly things “we must be tired Mom” Ethan says.
 I was praying with Ethan and saying goodnight, when Ethan grabs my hand and looks at me,” Mom it was a good day I got to hang out with you and Dad today, I am very thankful for you and Dad!”
A day in the Life of Ethan Arden Adams.

Psalms 16:8-9
I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is filled with Joy, and my mouth shouts his praises!
My body rests in safety.




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us these specific details. It helps a lot to understand what his (and your) world it like. And thank you for providing him with the loving family he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Larin's comment! Love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan is truly a blessing from God. Such an incredible young man. This comment speaks so much to his loving character, "Mom it was a good day I got to hang out with you and Dad today, I am very thankful for you and Dad!” Continuing to pray for his complete recovery, the Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your encouragement and love through this journey!! I read all the comments and know that the love of Jesus through your words encourage us all!!
    Blessings to each of you, Sweet Family and Friends!!!:)

    ReplyDelete